Monday, March 26, 2012

Nick in Chile

Nick called us from the Santiago airport this weekend and sent us a few emails describing how much he loves Chile. Which thrills me because I harbor not-so-secret hopes of spending a year sabbatical in southern South America and now it looks like he is as motivated, if not more than me to make it happen.

The only downside to that part of the world is their earthquakes. I was in one when I was last down there and I almost thought to say something about an earthquake to him before he left, but forgot. And then last night I got the news that they had a 7.1 quake just north of where is staying. He sent me an email earlier in the day before the quake describing his beautiful accomodations on the edge of a river where it meets the sea, which sounded ideal at the time, but the worst possible place to be in a post-quake tsunami. Needless to say, I was worried sick until I read the news and saw that the worst reports of human damage came from a church ceiling falling on parishioners and the liklihood that my husband was in a church at 7 pm at night is almost nil.

However, I haven't heard from him yet, which means that they were evacuated to some place with no connectivity or cell service, or that he is so remote, the local people around him shrugged and quickly went on with life and he did the same, not knowing the the quake made international news.

My intuition tells me everything is just fine, but I will keep everyone updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment