Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wednesday

Is this the second Wednesday we have posted with no baby news?

Thank you everyone for the texts and emails and little love letters! I really love getting them even if I don't respond everytime. Makes me feel like we have a football stadium full of love and support shining down on us.

I am 41 weeks, 5 days beyond my due date, which our doula and midwife both assure me is still within the range of normal. We are not officially pastdue (love that word, makes me feel like a library book that I forgot to return) until this coming Saturday. And even then, we are still among the 5-10% of caucasians who do not deliver until sometime between the 42nd and 43rd week.

Several months ago, I wrote an email to an anxiously-waiting friend of mine who was a couple of weeks past her due date with her first. I remember writing about Finn being so late and how much easier it was to have 'fully cooked' babies with strong immune systems and good head control. I told her how Finn was not a fragile baby and his sturdiness allowed us to integrate him into our busy, traveling lives with much less concern than if we had a small, early baby that obviously needed a little more time to develop.

In retrospect, I am not quite sure how we did it, but maybe the adrenaline of being new parents and proving to all the nay-sayers that we could have our baby and our lifestyle too! spurred us into two passports, (both of them used) by the time Finn was 5 weeks old. And somehow, we have convinced ourselves that it was such a good idea and we did such a good job of it that we are doing it again! In just 6 weeks we are heading to the UK to visit family and friends and introduce our new one to our other world.

I guess I am convincing myself, as I did my friend those months ago, that late babies are the way to go when one is so ambitiously set on traveling, or fishing or not stopping life simply because a new one has entered it.

However, I am still looking forward to those days (week? weeks?) after birth when I get to be enveloped in those new-mommy hormones, gazing into the faces of my two beautiful children and not have a damn thing to do besides nurse and rock and read and watch big dirt.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment