Sunday, December 11, 2011

Shhh...

Because these little mites of ours are too wee for screen time (except the occasional round of Postman Pat on the iPad at 5:30 am when Nick and I are too tired too care and need the extra 18 minutes it provides) I can safely post their Christmas gifts.

We are trying for homemade, or at the very least, recycled, gifts this year and I have had a lot of fun making things that I hope everyone will enjoy and love. Which brings us to this doll for Poppie. Her name is Rose. She was made this weekend between naps from little scraps I had around the house.
She is actually about as tall as Poppie
Here she is without her arms yet. Her arms attached with little caribou-bone buttons that Nick and I bought in Juneau a couple of years ago
Her body is made from a flour sack tea towel that I dyed with Nick's tea
This is just one outfit, I have another one in the works
Her hair is an old sweater that I felted years ago to make mittens and had stored safe from the moths in the basement
Lest you think me more originally creative than I deserve, I first saw this doll last year (worth pressing play and watching the slideshow) and thought if I ever have a daughter, I will make one of these dolls for her. And take my girl to Paris and have Nick take lots of lovely photos, but first things first, 1) must have a girl; and 2) must make the doll (done and done, now for the Paris part...)

Poppie is a bit young for a shabby chic rag doll that is probably a little too fragile for a toddler, but I am not convinced that I will ever have time again in my life to tackle a project such as this so carpe diem.

*Cute aside: Finn saw this doll and was a bit ruffled that it was for Poppie and asked that I make him one too because he needs a guy for his digger.

No comments:

Post a Comment