Thursday, December 20, 2012

Poppie, lately

Poppie is a stunningly, magnetically, adorable child. I continue to get stopped in the street, on buses, at the grocery store, just about everywhere, by people who need to tell me how cute she is. She has that amazing combination of good looks (big blue eyes and dark hair? what the what? how did she get so lucky?) and adorably generous personality that is an absolute magnet for all mankind (and believe me, I have had a representative from all mankinds stop me, so I know this to be true).
But inside that adorable little girl façade, she is a real little spitfire. Her brother is her world and she spins on his axis. She mimics everything he does and is absolutely beside herself when he is upset about something (she will even go as far as to hit me if I am culpable for his sadness, little stinker). If Finn loves somebody, she loves them. If Finn loves something, she loves it. She is equal parts snuggly-lovey and rough-and-tumble.
Poppie was awake when we got home from our date night last night. With lots of energy for dancing.

She loves these cars because Finn loves them, of course.
Daddy and Papa are her main men and she has them both hopelessly wrapped around her little finger. Mama and Nana are critical to her survival, she knows, but when she wants something, she goes straight to Daddy or Papa, neither of whom can refuse her. Even Uncle David became a Poppie-captive when he was here. 

She has Finn’s athleticism, but her verbal skills are behind his at this age. I think it is because Finn often translates for her and she has a very handy pointer finger, that when combined with a loud screech, gets a lot done. She understands everything we say, though, and is very proud of herself when she notices that we are getting ready to leave and brings me her shoes and jacket to put on without me asking.


Poppie’s one challenge is life is separation anxiety and I can’t take her to the gym or leave her with strangers. Ever. Which is odd, because she loves strangers! If I want her to stop protesting in a public situation, all I have to whisper is ‘Poppie, look, someone wants to say hi to you’ and she stops her tantrum and immediately smiles and tries to find that someone. But for now, we stick with the usual suspects of babysitters and hope she grows out of it soon. Santa would not make a good babysitter, she thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment