Monday, August 13, 2012

On Nick's birthday a couple of weeks ago, we went down to Ocean Shores for a photo shoot. Nick bought a simple red kite that turned out to be a trick-kite. I was to fly it so he could get the shots he needed to integrate it into the final photos. The kite was so squirrely with me, I couldn't keep it in the air and would crash it after a 100 elegant and violent curley-ques that had Nick yelling in fear and leaping out of the way in fear of a beheading by a tiny, sharp line.

You have to be subtle with the lines, babe, he says to me. Just use tiny movements, or don't move at all and it will fly itself. Which, weeks later, I am realizing is a metaphor for my life right now.

Slow down. Trust its ability to fly itself.
No sudden moves you might regret later.
Don't react the minute you feel (the kite, the child, your life) going out of control.
Life needs tender touches right now.

I am learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment