Tuesday, February 16, 2010

When Grandmas come to stay

In the beginning of January when Nick was first making plans to visit New Stuyahok, we didn’t hesitate to think of Grandma Sheila in the UK timing a visit to correspond with Nick’s absence. You see, Nick works from his studio on our property and Finn stays with him during the day while I work. I make a couple trips home each day to nurse (1 minute 37 seconds by bike), thereby keeping Finn out of daycare and saving us a lot of childcare expenses. What were we going to do for three weeks?

Grandma.



Little does Nick know how his shoes have been filled! With Grandma Sheila in the picture, I feel like I have doubled. It is all the little things that only women notice. Walking through the house on the way to empty the trash, I make a mental to-do list something like this: ‘pick that up and bring it downstairs, put that glass in the dishwasher and start the laundry while downstairs and bring up that basket of clean clothes so I can fold them after nursing Finn’. By the time I am finished with the garbage, my to-do list is finished. And Finn has been changed and he is smiling, happy and ready to nurse.



Really, this is homage to Sheila and how much I appreciate the help. Finn and I are awfully spoiled with her here and it has made Nick’s absence smooth (except for missing him so much). This Grandma can come and stay any day as long as she wants! (And next time I will do all the cooking and cleaning, I promise.)

No comments:

Post a Comment