Saturday, January 19, 2013

Triumph at Weird O'Clock

It is 2:54 am here in Seattle and I am feeling pretty triumphant. Especially because Jenna is away at the moment and so my fathering accomplishments feel hard won.

Poppie just woke me from my deep sleepy stupor. This is not normal. She normally sleeps through the night without a peep for an average of 12-13 hrs every time. I was up in a flash and by her side. We made a bottle together and with a hug and a kiss she was back to sleep. Triumph one.

As I was crawling back into bed I remembered that Finn still had something stuck in his foot. Just before dinner yesterday Finn broke a glass on the kitchen floor. I thought I hovered up all the bits. But a small shard ended up stuck in the bottom of Finn's foot. We had a traumatic time trying to get it out. There was a lot of tears and screaming. I got hit on the head and kicked in the mouth and Finn shouted "Bad Daddy! Bad Daddy!" For attempting to get the glass out. I was successful at removing the main piece but one tiny, painful slither remained.

So instead of bed I grabbed the tweezers and headed to the base of Finn's bed. I grabbed the light. Found his foot. I cleaned the micro wound with my tongue and used my tongue to confirm the presence of a nasty sharp foreign body in Finn's foot. I made several attempts before finally a tiny but very sharp shard of glass came out. Triumph Two.

It is weird and wonderful some of the things we end up doing as parents. And no matter what tomorrow will be a great day. Good night.

1 comment:

  1. What a super daddy you are! Thanks for posting about your adventures in nighttime parenting. Miss you and love you all! xx

    ReplyDelete